Friday, September 10, 2010

I get THE BEST customer service!

So, I have had a few experiences lately that I thought I should share.  I do get the best customer service and I think part of the reason for that is that I have been in the business so I know a few little things that help.  The first and most important thing is SMILE and be as pleasant as you possibly can be.  Especially if you are dealing with a "customer service rep." they do nothing but deal with problems all day and lots of unhappy people.  Be specific and ask for what you want.  If you are asking for a lot, all they can do is say no.  Here are a few examples of situations that I have faced lately.

A few weeks ago I wanted to buy a carpet cleaner.  I shopped around a lot and finally when I needed to make a decision I was at Lowes with three kids!  I know, lots of fun.  The carpet cleaner I wanted was priced at $299.99.  I saw a similar one at Costco for $229 so I asked a passing sales person if they price match Costco.  Most stores don't and she told me that they do not (Costco very rarely carries the exact same models and you have to have a membership so most retail places will not price match them).  I just responded with a smile and said, "Okay, well it's worth the difference to drive all the way there, so I'll buy it from Costco. Thanks."  She said ok and left, but then a few seconds later she turned the corner again and said, "Well, let me see what I can do."  She looked up the model I wanted and asked me what Costco was offering it for and I told her.  She said she could do that.  Awesome $80 off, just because I asked and I was smiling (even when she told me no at first).

Last week I took a pair of tennis shoes into Sears, bought with Kidvantage (kidvantage is their program for guaranteeing their products.  Any kids clothes or shoes you buy that wear out before your done with them can be exchanged for the same item later...awesome) BUT this particular pair of shoes was already on exchange number two because they are crap!  The shoe sales clerk was very busy that day.  It was a Saturday and the only other person helping her in the department was handicapped (not physically handicapped) so she had a lot of work.  While I was waiting one of the shelves on the wall of clearance shoes fell down and shoes where piled everywhere and the poor lady had a long line of customers waiting for her.  I kept smiling, even while in line.  When I got to the counter and said, "I just have a kidvantage exchange, but I was wondering if you ever exchange them for a different pair if I pay the difference because this will be our third pair.  These ones keep ripping in the same place."  She replied, "Normally we don't, but I'll do it for you."  One of my favorite things to hear.  I found the pair of shoes I wanted and waited in line again.  When I got to the counter smiling, she didn't even make me pay the difference!

10 days ago at Kohls I bought two pairs of pants that were on sale two for $12.  One was from the toddler dept and one was from little girls.  Apparently you can't mix and match on those items.  I didn't realize the error until I pulled them out of the bag yesterday.  When I went in (smiling) the lady told me I should have come back the same day because they were probably not on sale any more...oh yeah, and I bought them at a different Kohls and they don't always have the same prices...  I said (smiling), "Well, let me go check what the price is now and see if I can find a 4T instead of a 4 in little girls, because they are the same size."  When I left the counter she looked confused like she didn't think it would make a difference.  I went back and got a 4T and told her I just wanted to exchange the 4 for the 4t (current sale price was $6.30 instead of two for $12)...but by the time I got back to the counter she was smiling now too and she wanted to give me a little something for having to deal with the hassle.  I ended up paying $4.50 for each pair of pants!

A little (or big) smile and a lot of sincere gratitude can go a long way.  Happy shopping (or returning).

1 comment:

Christy said...

I always smile and never get this. So I will now be going to you to do all my dirty work ;)