Friday, May 18, 2012
Commission vs. Allowance
It's hard to remember to blog when I use FB to show off my kids, but I do like to talk about things we do with our kids. So, Jory took Mia on a little daddy-daughter date the other night. They went to the toy store to spend Mia's hard earned cash. She had earned $19. We pay our girls for doing some chores (some are just expected) and they save up that money to spend on whatever they want (minus saving and giving some).
Our commission system is based on Dave Ramsey's principles. We do not just give the girls money, they earn it. When I ask them to do a chore they get a few coins. Since we haven't gone over the denominations of coins in detail yet, the bigger the better for them. So, unloading the dishwasher will get them about 25 cents each, but if they do it without being asked I give them about 25 cents and then I will give them an extra quarter and tell them this is an extra quarter for doing your chores without being asked. If they work hard and don't complain, do an extra good job, etc. then I will also give them an extra coin for this as well. When we work out in the yard I usually give them a dollar or two since it is usually pretty hard work. So, far these girls are hard workers and like to help out. I hope it stays that way, even thought I know inflation is inevitably going to happen :-)
Mia chose this My Little Pony set. Jory and I are never too excited about what they pick out. Last week Ana spent her $14 on a little set of squinkies, but it's always fun to see their excited faces and I think it's important to let them make these important decisions on their own. Mia always earns more money than Ana. This is just because she really likes to help out and it pays off for her. We don't try to even the money out. In this house you just get what you earn. We have taught them to go through the entire store and carefully think about their decision. We also don't give them any extra money if they really want something that they can't afford (even though Jory said he was tempted to do this when Mia was looking at a girly set of Legos).
Both of the girls were pretty excited about their choices and getting to spend this special time with Daddy. Jory loves it too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment