Monday, January 17, 2011

OH the things they say

On Wednesday we ventured out.  Looking back, I still wish we would have stayed home.

I needed to get some ice melt for the driveway, sandwich rolls and I wanted to look at some yarn.  So where do you go when you need a variety of items?  Walmart.  The one stop place to drive you mad.

It started out pretty typical:  Ana: "I'm hungry for the M-store (McDonalds)."  Me: "No, you are not.  We JUST ate!"

Then we got to the yarn isle.  Mia, my sweet little baby lover, just discovered that a lady we go to church with is about to have a baby.  She is due in about three weeks.  So naturally we're on the craft isle and Mia says, "Look, she has a baby in she's tummy." No, she did not.  I know that God blessed Sarah with a baby in her old age and Elizabeth, Mary's cousin as well, but I do not think that this woman was pregnant, probably just having a heart attack after my daughter's comment.  I didn't know what to do, so I just put my head down and zoomed around the corner at light speed.  

Ice melt - check, yarn - skip, sandwich rolls...

We were almost done with our shopping, walking down the main isle toward produce and bakery items when Ana very pointedly puts a finger toward a very nice looking youngish man and says, "Oh, that poor man...(I knew something horrible was coming so I steered down the nearest isle) has a brown face." Oh yeah, it was bad, but we didn't get far enough away.  I'm sure he heard.  If it hadn't been for Mia's comment setting the stage, I'm sure I would have responded differently, but I couldn't help but tear up.

I really wish I could go back and change my response.  I really wish I would have said, Yes, he has beautiful brown skin.  I'm sure running away made the man feel worse.  I hope he just laughed.  I hope he understands that we love everyone.  I hope we can move somewhere more diverse someday before my children are scared.

2 comments:

Christy said...

you could just move to my neighborhood. it's diverse. :)

Allison and Ben said...

You gotta love kids. I'm sure a good way to make their life more diverse is to move to Texas with me or I guess you could go back to Cali.