For Christmas we got the girls an aquarium with everything they needed to have a few little fish pets in their own bedroom. We took them out on Christmas Eve and they got to pick out their fish. Before we even got into the store Ana had announced that she wanted a Catfish. Unfortunately, this seriously limited they type of fish that Mia could choose.
I really didn't expect the pet store to be so busy on Christmas Eve. Who buys pets as gifts and gifts for pets anyway? That's just weird. Anyways, it was swamped and we didn't have the best customer service. The first Catfish captured turned into a homicide at the hands of the impatient fish catcher, but I learned a valuable lesson. Never try to catch the Catfish or I'll kill it because it's little whiskers will get caught in the net.
Mia ended up with an Angelfish. We guided her toward it a bit, but she really didn't care much. She just wanted a fish. She named her Angelfish Purple. Cute. And Ana named the Catfish Pica.
The fish got along pretty well in their new home. The girls are very good at taking care of their new pets. Unfortunately, Purple was exchanged last night. Ana came out of her room yesterday morning and said, "Oh NO! What happened to Mia's Angelfish?" Upon further investigation I found Purple in a plant. Kinda looked stuck. I'm not sure how she got there, but Mia summed up the situation for us all, "I sink, she died." She wasn't emotional about it at all, just a fact of life. I'm so glad it wasn't Pica.
When Mia and I took our little casualty back to the store for an exchange we received a nice education about fish. Apparently, size doesn't matter much, some fish just don't mix well. The Catfish has pulsating barbs that probably drove the sensitive Angelfish to death, literally. Good thing she didn't suffer longer than the exchange period ;-)
So, Mia decided a goldfish would be nice. But we were informed that goldfish are gross and they will gunk up our tank. We don't need any more cleaning so we moved on. Anything from the predator family would be good, like a little shark, but our tank wasn't big enough. They are territorial and need their own space. So we picked this cute little fish with an orange belly. Mia really wanted this one...it's in the piranha family and will grow to be two feet long...."Okay then, why don't you just pick me one?" I asked the very informative fish catcher. "How about that stripped one in the tank with the other Catfish?" He said, "that's a good one, but they are schooling fish so you need at least three." I said, "Okay, give me three."
We now have four fish. Three of them are little groupies and follow each other around the tank. It's pretty funny. Jory was laughing as he watched them explore their new home last night. They haven't left each other's sides. I love fish with personality. Or at least, in this case, it might just be instincts, but it's cute either way. The new fish do not really have names. They are just the Tiger fish. Or if you are three, like Mia, you can call them the Tiger Fishes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comment:
That's cute, we had to buy new algee eaters before christmas, and I also got one more poly just for fun.
Post a Comment