Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Mermaid Cake

Here it goes, step by step, so that you can see how EASY this was to make.  See the that big blue thing on the white frosted cake?  It's nothing but a really big Jello Jiggler.  I cut it and then lifted it out of the pan with my bare hands and plopped it right on top of my round cake.  There is one little trick.  I used a 10x3 round cake pan with about 1.75 boxes of cake mix.  That is I mixed up two cake mixes and after filling my pan I had enough batter left to make about 7 cup cakes.  I did not use two round 9" pans because the larger pan makes a flatter cake, if it was rounded on top the jiggler would have slipped right off.
 Next I trimmed the ocean jiggler with a warm knife so I would have a good half inch around the edge to add the blue frosting to keep it in place.  Then I piled up some blue frosting on one edge and covered it in crushed graham crackers to make the beach and added some rock candy around the bottom for the boarder.  Then I just added the new mermaid toy, flounder and around the edge I put some premaid mermaid candies, sooo easy.  The back side doesn't look so great since the beach was messy but I didn't show anyone the back ;-)
It was a big hit.  Mia loved it and she really wanted a Castle Cake, but I didn't want to make the same thing as last time.  Hum...what will I come up with for Ana's 5th???  We'll see.

the final product:

2 comments:

Christy said...

your so crafty. I will have to think of something spectacular for my birthday ;)

Allison and Ben said...

Did you come up with that design all on your own? Most likly I'm sure. Very cute, I just love it. I think we are going to decorate cupcakes for Isa's 6th, since it's a sleep over.