There is fish water soaking into the carpet in the girl's bedroom, but instead of cleaning it up right away I thought I should share some info with you so that you don't make the same mistake I did.
This morning while we were getting ready to leave the house (of course we were getting ready to leave, these things never happen when it's convenient) Mia pulled open all of the drawers to her dresser and it fell over on her. I knew that it was supposed to be anchored to the wall. I know this for three really good reasons. First of all, it was in the instructions for putting together the dresser. Secondly, our friends owned the same dresser and the same thing happened (not involving a toddler) and the dresser was demolished. And third, while I was working at Circuit City there was a toddler who climbed up on one of the entertainment centers (at a different store) and he died when it fell over on him. The dresser wasn't anchored because Jory as waiting for me to buy mollies to anchor it and I was waiting for him to move the dresser over and anchor it into a stud in the wall. We didn't communicate well.
So, Mia is fine. Thank GOD. Really truly, thank you God for answering my constant prayer to keep our girls safe and healthy. She didn't even get cut by glass or bruised. She was crying about getting wet, but mostly she was just scared. The bunk beds are only about three feet in front of the dresser. The beds stopped the whole dresser from coming down on top of her. There was a large vase housing our lonely Tiger fish sitting on top of the dresser. The vase shattered and fish water spilled down into the dresser all over the clean clothes, saturating the brand new package of pull ups I put in the top drawer, and getting all over Mia's bed and the carpet. The Tiger fish was flung across Mia's bed and landed just bellow her pillow. He is alive for now, but I'll be very surprised if he survives. That would be the equivalent of a person being catapulted like three hundred yards.
Okay time to start the laundry and clean up the aftermath. By the way...I bought a few extra mollies and L brackets today so that we never have to go through this again. A package of mollies and a few L brackets are about $3 each. How stupid would I feel if my daughter had been hurt and it would have only cost me $3 to save her? Stupid. Don't let this happen to you. Just anchor your furniture, especially book shelves and dressers. They look like inviting climbing obstacles and you can't watch your kids every minute. I typically have low blood pressure, but I can't handle another spike like that again for a while. It's only the second time this week that my heart stopped beating...Did I mention I hit a kid on a motor scooter? No? Well, that's a story for another day. Fish water is calling my name.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comment:
Oh how scary. We have one book shelf that is not attached to the wall. We should probablly do that. I'm glad everyone is ok.
Post a Comment