Monday, March 21, 2011

The Money Pit

This darn house...urgh.

Well, Jory and I really wanted to put the house up for sale last summer, but we owed just as much as it was worth.  This winter we put together a plan to list it this Spring.  I heard rummors that the housing market was going up for low to mid priced houses so we thought this was our time.  Unfortunately, everyone in our neighborhood would like to get out of here.  I think there are at least a dozen houses for sale that I drive past on a regular basis and after doing more research online I found out that there are two foreclosures going for less than $100k.

So, our new revamped plan is to stay here for another year; maybe two years and dump as much extra money as we can onto our mortgage.  We might just put the house on the MLS for fun, but we're not counting on getting a reasonable offer for it.  In the mean time we are going to look into widening our driveway, building a carport and getting new counter tops.  And, I might, just might gut the bathroom downstairs.  We'll see.

You may wonder why I'm sharing all of this.  There is a reason.  I used to have a friend who was a visionary.  She would tell me all kinds of things that she was going to do.  When those things didn't happen I thought she was untrustworthy.  She always made plans and didn't follow through.  Well, I don't want to be that person.  I don't want to look like I don't know what I'm doing or look like I'm not following through with my plans.  So, I never told anyone anything.  I'd never tell anyone I was looking for a job so that if I didn't find one I didn't have to explain why.  There were many things I didn't share.  I've learned that it's more wise to share your ideas with others so that you can get feedback ;-)  Maybe if I would have listened to and talked with more people about the housing market when we were shopping for a house I wouldn't be stuck in this one.

No comments: